Andy Hall case discussed at European Parliament
Lea Rankinen, Senior Vice President for Sustainability and CSR at SOK, visited the European Parliament in Strasbourg with Finnwatch researcher Andy Hall on 5 and 6 October 2016.
The purpose of the visit was to draw attention to human rights issues in Thailand and discuss Andy Hall's case at a European Parliament session.
Hall was found guilty in a court case brought by the pineapple juice producer Natural Fruit in Thailand. He was convicted of tarnishing the company's reputation, among other charges, after having revealed problems with the working conditions at the factory.
During their visit, Rankinen and Hall met with members of the European Parliament, as well as Cecilia Malmström, European Commissioner for Trade. In its resolution, the European Parliament found Hall's conviction to be unfortunate and expressed its concern about the legal process and its possible effects on the freedom of human rights work. In addition, the Parliament expressed its support for S Group's efforts to help Andy Hall.
Rankinen and Hall had been invited to visit the European Parliament by MEP Heidi Hautala.
- 07.08.2018 S Group strongly investing in services of the future
- 11.07.2018 The first renovated floor of the classic hotel Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna is finished
- 10.07.2018 S Group's sales increased – Hot early summer boosted sales
- 25.06.2018 Sokos Hotels has been granted a Green Key eco-label for all its hotels
- 11.04.2018 Better bonus to customers boosted S Group's sales
- 06.04.2018 The freedom of action of human rights defenders must be ensured
- 09.02.2018 A good year for S Group – growth in sales and result
- 18.01.2018 S Group's sales increased – Christmas sales higher than last year
- 11.10.2017 S Group's sales increased – growth also expected for the rest of the year
- 22.09.2017 SOK's director of corporate responsibility receives international recognition
- 07.08.2017 S Group posts improved result – positive trends across the board
- 12.07.2017 S Group's sales increased: "Our customers appreciate the wider selection and lower prices"
- 30.06.2017 S Group's regional cooperatives to buy Stockmann Delicatessen's business operations in Finland – aiming for the top European level
- 30.05.2017 Now people in Finland can enjoy a bit of luxury at the table: S Group and Tesco announce product partnership
- 12.04.2017 S Group's sales increased – Sokos continued to improve
- 10.02.2017 Consumer goods trade and hotels improved S Group's result
- 17.01.2017 S Group's sales increased – including significant growth in fashion as well as online food trade
- 21.11.2016 S Group is planning to streamline it franchise operations with Marks & Spencer in Finland
- 13.10.2016 S Group's sales increased: "Consumer goods trade exceeded expectations"
- 11.10.2016 Varma commissions expansion of Sokotel's Flamingo hotel